4.21.2010

Want a healthier mind? Pick up a book...

Over the past few months, I have really rediscovered an old hobby of mine.  It is something that is relaxing, rewarding, and is a healthy activity for my mind.  


Books.


Before I started reading again, it had been probably 4-5 years since I had read a book just for the enjoyment of it, or because it interested me.  For the longest time, I honestly just saw no need to pick up a book.  Why would anyone read a book when there are movies to be watched, games to be played, and websites to be checked?  I mean, when you think about it, books are really quite boring in comparison to gaming, which provides interaction with the game, interaction with other people, and challenges you on multiple levels.  I mean, how can books compete with a force like that?  Well, back then I was young, dumb, and full of...ignorance.


Books have a lot to offer.  It is incredibly rewarding to flip the last page of a great book.  If it is a fictional book, it gives you the freedom and the thrill of exercising your imagination.  It is very relaxing to sit back, read a book, and completely envision everything that the author is telling you.  Sure a plot and a setting is provided by the Author, but the fine details are up to you to decide.   


Looking for a good fictional read? try The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
This is a great read for any lover of dark fantasy


I have found that while I do enjoy reading a good fantasy book here and there, I really like reading books that motivate me.  It feels good reading a book that motivates me so much that I can't stand but to start writing down ideas and taking mental notes as soon as I close the cover.  


A great book for getting motivated is Crush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk


The book mentioned above is truly a great book to read.  Gary Vaynerchuk, host of Wine Library TV, is a guy who invests everything he is into his passions, his businesses, and his life.  He is truly a motivational guy to his core, and I am appreciative of this book that he has written.  If I had not read it, this blog would still be sitting here collecting pixel dust.  If you are a blogger, a gamer, or hell even a tennis shoe collector, I definitely recommend you give this a read.  Its relatively short, so it is not a huge time investment.  I read it in 2 days on and off.


I'm looking for a new book to read.  What books have you guys read and wouldn't mind recommending to me?  I don't care about genres or categories, as long as it is engaging!

No comments:

Post a Comment